Sunday, December 18, 2011

No Color? No Problem!

______It has been quite a busy first semester of college.  My finals were last week, but now I am free! Free to mindlessly play the Sims and build houses, adventure through the new Zelda game, take some outfit pictures, and bake.  I've already whipped up a batch of molasses cookies, frosting-drenched sugar cookies, and a few dozen butterscotchies!  Paula Deen would be smiling so hard her mouth would fall off if she saw how much butter mother and I bought today.

______Besides buying massive amounts of butter this Christmas break, I decided to take pictures of  my Design I art projects.  I felt the need to document it in one ridiculously image-heavy post.  That being said, shall we begin our marvelous journey through the world of design-y fun?

______Why yes, yes we shall.

Broken Square

______The first-ish assignment of ours was to break apart a square so that you could still tell it was a square but it wasn't a square.  I feel the need to say square one more time.  Square.  There.  Yeah.  So. That's about it for this one.  Moving right along...

Eternity

______This was a word thing where we had to design the word in a) a font that described the word and b) made it kind of look like the word.  It's hard to put into words, but I feel that you citizens may know what I'm attempting to say.  I chose the word "eternity" and gave it a grandfather clock-esque font and spun the word around a hollow circle. 

Avocados and Wheels

______For this assignment, we had to pick two shapes: one organic (avocado) and one mechanical (a ship wheel) and repeat them in a manner that is oh-so-pleasing to the eye, hnnnnnnyes.  This was when I learned that my art teacher was also a fervent appreciator of avocados.  Avocados are a fruit which more people really should know about, yes yes.  Purchase one at your local grocer today.  And smell it.  And appreciate it.  And consume it to harness its avocado-y goodness and heart-healthy monounsaturated fats for hair and skin so gleaming it will blind your enemies.

TexturesTexturesD

______For a homework assignment I went absolutely crazy with, we were  to draw a random shape (mine's that Nike swoop gone cray-cray) then envelope it in a variety of textures.  I sketched out broken glass, swirly hair, chain-like scales, and a bundle of rope to "rope it all in" (ahahah I am so witty, who's still got it?  I've still got it.  Aww yiss).


Arrows

______This assignment was to make a shape from two shapes and give it some movement (so that it moves like Jagger?).  If my dad was here, he would probably say something along the lines of, "I have seen the arrows, but there are no Indians."

Wonderland Book Cover Illustration

______Finally, this one.  And finally, this last assignment was a beast.  A big, hairy, successful beast.  I had a party and a half drawing it, and its my favorite piece thus far, though it required much diligence and hard work.  I drew madly from the start of the class to the end of the three-hour long class for nearly four classes to get it done.  The assignment was to make a book cover while using the elements and principles.  We didn't have to choose a book that actually existed, though I sorta did with an altered title.  One of my favorite books is Alice in Wonderland, so I shortened the title simply to Wonderland.  My dream job is to illustrate books and book covers. If only, if only.

______...Well, that concludes the reminiscing of my Design I projects for le first semester of college.  I learned a lot from this class, which was really nice, especially since the last two years of art class I had in high school I felt like I did not absorb as much artsy knowledge as I could've.

______But hey, I suppose that's what college is for, huh?

9 comments:

Arianne said...

This is awesome (if only because it's not my assignments ;P) and I particularly like Alice in Space Wonderland. I'd pick up the book based on that cover for sure.

A from A + B in the Sea

LyddieGal said...

Seems like you are having an awesome semester - your book cover is so fantastic - I can easily see you getting that job.

Cookies made with tons and tons of butter really are the best, aren't they?

Chic on the Cheap

Isquisofrenia said...

black and white yes

Vivid Virginia said...

Black and white for me are such a perfect colors :)

Yola Thorp said...

these look amazing! love your blog.

www.yolathorp.com

Amber Schmidt said...

I love when you post your art. You are so divinely talented!

Mari Garcia said...

Amazing.

Happy Holidays!

Your newest Follower
Mary from ♥ meowwzie.blogspot.com ♥

Vanessa said...

Wow! Looks like you had a fantastic first semester. Enjoy your break, resting and relaxing (I hope!) I'm glad to see you pop back online every now and then.

Isquisofrenia said...

yeah , i totally hear ya, my family were having some issues and i was stressing hardcore but everything is good now